HIPAA Section A – Background information on HIPAA Rules
The following is a glossary of basic HIPAA concepts.
- What entities are covered by HIPAA?
- All healthcare clearinghouses, health plans, and healthcare providers that conduct certain transactions in electronic form. This includes entities that use a billing service to conduct transactions on their behalf.
- What is considered "electronic" under the terms of HIPAA?
- The term “electronic” is used to describe, but is not limited to, the transmitting of healthcare information via the Internet, an extranet, leased lines, dial-up lines, etc.
- What are HIPAA transactions?
- Healthcare claims or their equivalent
- Healthcare payment and remittance advice
- Healthcare claims status
- Eligibility inquiries
- Referral certifications and authorizations
- Claims attachments
- First reports of injury